A fairly girl Reunion, Ben Affleck’s cool Feet and a $17 Million Payday: 20 Secrets About Runaway Bride Revealed
by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It had been the film 10 years into the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty Woman made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic on-screen set finally reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere again teamed up using their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom passed on in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a tiny city woman therefore scared of dedication that she actually is dashed through the altar 3 x and also the jaded divorced magazine columnist determined to see her run for the time that is fourth. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted to your theater to look at set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was indeed in the works well with over ten years with numerous other superstars connected to star at some time, a more impressive blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that was released in 1990.
But simply given that it made more income than Pretty girl does not mean it had been more productive, as Runaway Bride neglected to captivate experts (making only a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and also had one of its movie stars later on admitting it simply did not capture the secret of the past film. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out just weeks before.)
Nevertheless, compliment of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both independently and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed a spot as you of Hollywood’s many suffering intimate comedies, no matter if it had been rarely made along with an ending that is different one point.
Through the A-listers which were initially likely to star within the film in 1991 to Roberts’ very own experience as being a runaway bride, listed below are 20 enjoyable facts you do not realize about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride ended up being really into the works well with over 10 years, with several other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and cynical journalist.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to guide the film, nonetheless it dropped apart if the very first manager brought in had difficulties with the script. Within the next couple of years, movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all into the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock had been enthusiastic about playing Maggie and urged the project ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie along with her suitors–and had been away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, aided by the studio liking the basic notion of a more youthful couple. Nevertheless when Affleck passed, one of several manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. Before he signed on to try out Ike: “Whenever you can get Julia, i am in. while he adored the script, Gere had one condition the studio had to satisfy” Roberts, that has initially been not sure associated with film whenever she read a past type of the script years prior, chose to take another appearance. And after a call together with her old Pretty lady main character, the film movie movie movie stars had been willing to reunite.
“People have now been hoping to get them straight straight back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles days. “And abruptly it happened—it ended up being all settled in a week”
4. The next telephone call ended up being one Gere and Roberts would need to make together, while they had to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to help make the reunion formally complete by directing their love tale yet again. There was clearly one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to just just take their spouse to Australia for a vacation that is much-needed.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, we should speak to your spouse,” Marshall recalled towards the publication. “They shared with her such things as, ‘ How many times do we get to be able to repeat this?’ and, ‘we are going to simply just take care that is good of,’ therefore finally we stated, ‘OK, we’ll take action.'”
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly experience that is stress-free the trio, with Marshall noting an alteration in their main character, now armed ukrainian women dating with a decade of expertise on sets sufficient reason for stardom.
“Richard was in fact extremely careful on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been a many more ready to be funny,” the manager stated. “Mostly we chatted within our very own shorthand that is little. All I’d to accomplish ended up being yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'”
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. As well as back-end gross on the movie, Roberts received $17 million on her behalf dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie movie stars proved worthy of these big paydays, as Runaway Bride started at number 1 in the package workplace, attracting a week-end total of approximately $35 million, definitely the opening that is best ever for a Roberts film during the time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million all over the world), becoming a blockbuster hit, it received lower than stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching straight right back from the film in an meeting with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that miracle was at the first movie, you cannot make that take place. While there is some stuff that is wonderful the movie, it surely did not have the miracle associated with very very first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same sort of delicious secret ended up being reckless. It absolutely was an alternate film, it absolutely was a new time, she was at another type of spot, I became in a different sort of destination.”
8. Manufacturing descended upon the little city of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million in to the neighborhood economy, upped the true property market and nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s release.
“We have been completely astonished,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun associated with the effect the film had around town of simply 3,000 individuals. “the film ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to many individuals. It place us regarding the map.”
9. When called “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere car remains a place of pride for Berlin, aided by the town holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the anniversary that is 20th.
“People appear in in addition they desire to hear, ‘Hey did you can get to satisfy Richard Gere? what is Julia Roberts like? Can we come across the home? Where had been the bridal shop?'” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought guess what happens, we will provide the people what they need in addition they desire to celebrate the film therefore we are likely to get it done up for the twentieth anniversary.”